Mark Millar has explained why X-Men: First Class helmer Matthew Vaughn chose not to direct the movie’s sequel.
The Kick-Ass filmmaker stepped down from the director’s chair of X-Men: Days of Future Past, sparking rumors he is in line to direct Star Wars: Episode 7.
However, Millar has now confirmed that Vaughn handed the X-Men sequel over to Bryan Singer so he could fast-track the development of the Secret Service adaptation.
Millar, who wrote Secret Service, and Vaughn reportedly learned that there were several rival projects about to enter development, forcing them to move ahead with the film.
“We thought Matthew was going to do X-Men first, but we found out there were actually a few imitators of Secret Service in the works,” the scribe told CBR.
“People are always trying to rip you off. Somebody will start to work on a spec screenplay about your idea. There are three other projects I know of now about a James Bond kind of guy taking a street kid and turning him into a spy.
“Three screenplays were already going through Hollywood about this! So Matthew and I said, ‘F**k this. We’re not letting anyone steal our ideas’.”
X-Men: Days of Future Past, starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence, is scheduled for a July 18, 2014 release date.
During Comic-Con last week, Simon Kinberg talked about writing X Men First Class Sequel. Check out the highlights from Collider below or watch the interview at 6:45:
“I wish I could tell you about it, but literally, it’s like the most guarded state secret I’ve ever been around. I can tell you that it’s going really well, and I can tell you that I’ve been working closely with Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman on the script of the movie and that we hope to be shooting in Spring of next year to come out in July of 2014 and that I’m really excited about it, because the only thing I can say, because I have to be extraordinarily vague about it, because the last time I talked to anybody about it, I got in trouble…big trouble…what I can tell you is [that] it’s extraordinarily ambitious. It is unlike the other X-Men movies and yet very much a celebration of the X-Men movies.”
“I don’t know enough of what he [Vaughn] has or hasn’t talked about. I can tell you it’s been a very fluid process in the sense of we really went into it, Matthew, Jane and myself, just wanting to create a movie that was as…I’m very proud of First Class…as dramatic as that movie, I think it is as dramatic as that movie, but more epic, mythic in a way as well. So, there are ideas that we’ve started with that haven’t survived, there are ideas that we started with from conversations we had from making First Class that are going to be in the sequel. So, it’s vague but…”
“It’s one of those movies that, because it’s such a big deal for the studio, they have some sense of what it is that we’re writing and they are ambitious about the movie, too. I don’t know what the budget’s going to be, we’ve got to finish the script before we have a budget, but I would assume that it is a bigger movie than the last in physical scope, and that we have the license to do that because of the success of First Class. And because I think Fox has had success with interesting movies in the last couple of years in the genre, like Planet of the Apes was a really good movie, Chronicle was a cool movie, First Class, they’re just narratively or creatively a little bit more ambitious. So they’ve encouraged us to do that with the sequel.”
X Men First Class sequel now has a release date of July 18 2014:
X-Men: First Class was one of the more rushed blockbuster productions in recent memory, with Matthew Vaughn signing on as director in May of 2010, just 13 months before the June 2011 release. Miraculously, it actually turned out pretty well, earning strong reviews, a whole lot of money, and of course, the inevitable plans for a sequel.
As rushed as they were to make the first one, though, 20th Century Fox has been taking their time putting together the First Class sequel, and in early April they announced they’d wait even longer, starting production in January of next year to accommodate the schedule of star Jennifer Lawrence, who will be shooting the Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire this fall. Now, as you might guess, Fox has finally set a release date for the still-untitled film, but it’s giving them a little more time to finish it this time around. The update at Box Office Mojo says the First Class sequel will come to theaters July 18, 2014, giving returning director Vaughn a much more reasonable 18 months from the start of production to release.
We don’t know a whole lot else about the film, except that it will focus even further on the development of Magneto (Michael Fassbender) as the villain, and that other stars like James McAvoy, Zoe Kravitz, Rose Byrne and Nicholas Hoult are all likely to reprise their roles. With production not starting until next year it will probably be a while before we hear more casting information or any more plot details, but now at least we can know it’ll be 2014 before we should start looking forward to actually seeing it.
X-Men First Class sequel may end up shooting in January to avoid conflict for Jennifer Lawrence who is in The Hunger Games franchise.
There appears to be a resolution to the question of whether 20th Century Fox and Lionsgate will fight over the services of in-demand actress Jennifer Lawrence.
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Fox is informing talent agencies Thursday that the studio plans to begin shooting its in-development sequel to X-Men: First Class in January. That means Lionsgate could move forward with an August-September start date for the Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire without a conflict for Lawrence, who is set to star in both.
As THR previously reported, tensions between the studios were running high last month as Fox was considering filming the Matthew Vaughn-directed X-Men follow-up in the fall, potentially conflicting with Lionsgate’s plans for Hunger Games. Fox, which cast Lawrence as the shape-shifting character Mystique in Summer 2010, months before Lionsgate chose her to play Katniss Everdeen in March 2011, has the right to exercise the option on her contract if it conflicts with another Hunger. That’s true even though Lawrence is part of a large ensemble in X-Men but is the clear star of the Hunger franchise.
Fox’s acquiescence isn’t a total win for Liosngate. One source says the Hunger Games studio would have liked to “hold” all the actors for seven months in connection with shooting Catching Fire. But that lengthy demand (typical holds are months shorter) is said to have been dropped amid complaints by interested parties, including Fox.
Next up for Lionsgate is settling on who will actually direct the Hunger Games follow-up. As THR reported on Wednesday, Gary Ross, who co-wrote and directed the first film, does not have a deal for the second. The heated negotiation leaves open the possibility that another filmmaker could be hired to shepherd the next installment in the franchise, as happened on the mega-grossing Twilight. But sources close to the dealmaking expect Ross to stay with the franchise he helped launch.
Check out James’ red carpet interview at Empire Awards 2012 where he talks about X Men First Class and the upcoming sequel:
X Men First Class has been nominated for 38th Saturn Awards. Nominations below:
Best Science Fiction Film
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU (Universal)
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (Paramount/Marvel)
LIMITLESS (Relativity Media)
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (20th Century Fox)
Best Make Up
Conan the Barbarian (Lionsgate)
Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Warner Bros.)
Immortals (Relativity Media)
The Skin I Live In (Sony Pictures Classics)
TOM WOODRUFF, JR.
The Thing (Universal)
X-Men: First Class (20th Century Fox)
SUPER 8 (Paramount)
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS (20th Century Fox)
Winners will be announced on June 20.
If I had my way, we “X-Men: First Class” fans would be getting a sequel this summer. Or this week, for that matter. Unfortunately I don’t get my way and we’re going to have to wait awhile for a few of the most in-demand actors in the business right now to get some free time to suit-up again. Also there is the matter of needing a script from which to work.
MTV News recently caught up with the sequel’s screenwriter Simon Kinberg at the premiere of his latest film, “This Means War,” where we discussed his plans for Magneto, Xavier and the rest.
“I don’t know what the title is going to be but certainly I’m working on the sequel to ‘X-Men: First Class’ right now,” Kinberg said. “I’m going to be writing and producing it, I’m starting now, with Matthew Vaughn directing.”
When asked about what he enjoys most about incorporating so many characters into the story, Kinberg first emphasized his fanboy-ness, along with excitement to further explore the many layers of Magneto and Charles Xavier.
“I’m a huge X-Men fan. I grew up loving the comic books and it was really exciting to be able to do the origin story of Xavier and Magneto, and getting those two actors, [James] McAvoy and [Michael] Fassbender, were really amazing,” he said. “So being able to explore those characters with actors of that quality will be exciting a second time around, and doing some things unexpected with those characters, which is the plan.”
Kinberg went on to say that while they’re still in the early stages of story-planning, the second film will likely involve a lot more Magneto.
“That’s what was so cool about the first one and what we want to continue,” Kinberg said of exploring the supervillain’s tortured beginnings. “Magneto becomes the villain ultimately of the franchise but he’s a much more complicated character as a young man. He’s someone you sympathize with, you care about you root for even though might not necessarily agree with his methods, you understand his philosophy.”
So with the sequel will Magneto still be bridging the gap between good and bad or will he be a full-on villain?
“We’re still figuring that out. I think the truth is ultimately that because Michael is such an interesting actor, he’ll never be full-on anything. He’ll have a villainous side and he’ll have a sympathetic human side you’ll be able to relate but you’ll also be afraid of him. He becomes Magneto, he says ‘Call me Magneto’ at the end of the first movie.”
He plays the part of a seedy copper, who is a racist and misogynist, so it’s no surprise Scottish star James McAvoy described the role of Bruce Robertson in his latest film Filth as “probably the biggest risk of my career”.
But when he spoke to STV’s Grant Lauchlan, the star revealed that he wouldn’t have turned the part down for anything.
“I think I said that offhand in one interview and it’s become the thing I always say,” the actor said. [But]“It’s as much of a risk as anything is a risk because you never know if anything is going to be good or not. But this is probably the best script I’ve ready in the last two or three years.
“And why wouldn’t it be? It’s from the mind of Irvine Welsh, as seen through Jon Baird, and Irvine Welsh’s voice is so unique, so important culturally I think – not just in Scotland, but there’s no one like him in the world. It’s no wonder it’s such a strong script.”
He added: “For those reasons I don’t think it’s that big a risk…and if I’m rotten in it nobody’s going to say I can’t work again – or maybe if I’m that bad I’ll never work again!”
Adapted from the Irvine Welsh book of the same name, the movie tells the story of a policeman who manipulates his way through the festive season in a bid to secure promotion and win back his wife and daughter.
Describing the movie as “dark” as well as “strange, interesting and funny”, the actor explained a little more about the character of Bruce Robertson.
“He’s not somebody you want to be, he’s not somebody you’d want to know… if you see somebody manipulate and corrupt and abuse and all these things then ultimately you want to see them get their comeuppance, and without giving too much away you probably get that in this as well.”
Several of the scenes for the film have been shot in Scotland, and it’s something McAvoy would like to see happening a lot more in the country – particularly with British movies.
Speaking about the recent boom of movies being shot in the country – such as Brad Pitt movie World War Z – James said: “The big movies have been coming in from America and using Scottish locations.
“And that’s fantastic but I think it’s always important to harness our own artistic output to create stuff made here, for here, by us, as well, and that’s what this is, and that’s the other side.
”Everybody’s been talking about World War Z coming here and taking over George Square; and I don’t get me wrong that’s amazing and long may Hollywood money pour into Glasgow, but we also need to do stuff for us by us for us.”
After Filth, McAvoy says he plans to take a holiday, but also hinted that working on a future X Men movie might be in the pipeline too.
He told Grant: “We were very pleased with it [the last X Men movie], it got received very well and we were surprised in a nice way just how well it went down, because those kinds of films don’t usually go down that well.
”The desire from us and the studio is there to make another one, it’s just about coming up with a good enough story to warrant it.”
X Men First Class also made it on Quentin’s Best Adapted Screenplay list. Check it out:
Tarantino’s Top Eleven
1. Midnight In Paris
2. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
4. The Skin I Live In
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Young Adult
7. Attack The Block
8. Red State
10. The Artist/Our Idiot Brother (tie)
11. The Three Musketeers
Best Adapted Screenplay
The Skin I Live In
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
X-Men: First Class
Here’s a latest update on X Men First Class Sequel from Michael when he was promoting his latest film, Haywire:
I’m going to be the generic online reporter and ask if there are any updates on the X-Men sequel and did you happen to see any of the Prometheus footage that premiered on Apple?
Fassbender: I don’t know about X-Men, but I am hoping so. I know they have been sort of talking. I’m trying to get together with James [McAvoy], the writer, [Producer] Simon [Kinberg], and hopefully Matthew [Vaughn]. I hope that Matthew is going to be down. I hope we are going again, but we just to have to wait and see. I don’t know but I know that if it’s happening I want to sit down at the grass roots and with James as well. We have some good ideas I think. I haven’t seen the trailer. I didn’t even know.